Friday, January 22, 2010

Hummingbird Sock Surprise

I have been feeding hummingbirds at my home in Woolwich for over 20 years. They are the most delightful little beings. After Lisbeth became ill in 1988, I started having dreams about them. Before then, I'd never given them much thought. The dreams became so insistant that I decided to buy some feeders and hang them on the front of our house. Ever since, the hummingbirds have been returning to our yard each May. I researched hummingbirds and began to make art about them: their hinged wings beat out a figure eight, which represents eternity, and in Native American lore, they symbolize Joy. I realized that hummingbirds showing up in my dreams at the onset of Lisbeth's illness was God's way of telling me that there would be eternal joy in my life even in the midst of great hardship. I still dream of them often, and Lisbeth knows how much I adore them...

No comments:

Post a Comment